Jan 2014. Several new resources have been published to the EarthChem Library in the new year, covering geochemistry of rocks, sediments, and fluids, field guides, rock descriptions, and scripts for statistical analysis of geochemical data. Some examples are:
- A Field Guide to the rough Description of Abyssal Dredge Hauls (Henry J.B. Dick)
- Dredge Records for Knorr Cruise 210, Leg 5 to the Mid-Atlantic Ridge between 16° and 17°N (Henry J.B. Dick)
- Fiji Tonalites (James B. Gill)
- Data associated with GLOSS-II, The Chemical Composition of Subducting Sediments (Terry A. Plank)
- Supplement to Multivariate statistical analysis and partitioning of sedimentary geochemical data sets... (Nicklas G. Pisias)
- See more EarthChem Library datasets.
- See PetDB related ECL datasets.
- See SedDB related ECL datasets.
- How to cite datasets
Dec 2013. Have you ever wanted to create KML files of your own samples or locations for use in Google Earth? IEDA EarthChem user Michael Carr of Rutgers University has contributed his KML Utility files. The tool reads latitude, longitude, name, and description from a tab-delimited text files and writes these data into a kml file. If you edit the locations in Google Earth and save them as a new kml file, the utility will return a simple tab delimited file of lat, lon, name, and description.
Download the utility here:
See other tools compiled for EarthChem Users.
If you use these tools, let us know how they work for you! email@example.com
Oct 2013. Check out the new version of PetDB, v.2.7.0, with new features and bug fixes that improve access to data.
- Direct link to the MGDS Cruise Catalog and additional information about the cruise is displayed on the PetDB Expedition page for cruises that are in the MGDS catalog.
- New tabs for Station Info, Sample Info, and Reference Info on the Expedition page, replacing the old buttons for pop-up windows.
- Updated the GMRT (Global Multi Resolution Topography) base map to the latest version.
- Improvements to the performance of Tag-Along data downloads, including bug fix to maintain the "Tag Along" selection when 'Next Page' or 'Previous Page' is clicked.
Let us know what you think about the new version by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by clicking the orange feedback button on the right-hand side of the webpage.
Sept 2013. On Thursday, August 29th, the Geochemical Society had the 2013 Distinguished Service Award Ceremony at the Goldschmidt Conference. EarthChem's Kerstin Lehnert and Douglas Walker were among the recipients of the award for "their long-running efforts to bring modern on-line data management to geochemistry." ..."Their contributions in data compilation and improvements to the standard of data reporting in the geochemical community are paving the way to a future where geochemical data can be efficiently preserved, easily and intelligently queried and discovered, and thereby be used for scientific discovery by the broad geoscience research and education community."
Klaus Peter Jochum, Kerstin Lehnert, and Baerbel Sarbas
receiving their Distinguished Service Awards. Not pictured is Douglas Walker.